Rico is the head of demolition and storage for the penguins. He has feathers resembling a Mohawk on his head and a scar across the left side of his beak, but it is unknown how he got it. Rico holds a variety of items in his gut, which is a virtual hammer space as many items shouldn't fit inside his body, such as time bombs, TNT, flamethrowers, bazookas, chainsaws, and even cash. He also has a female doll, Ms. Perky, which he loves very much. Unlike the other Penguins, Rico makes grunting noises rather than speaking actual words (though he does speak at times). Rico has a weird way of crying.
Rico has very minor moments in the movies. In the first movie, he was mentioned when the penguins attempt to break out of the zoo by snagging a plastic spoon from a little boy. Also, when all the animals from the zoo are being transferred to Kenya, Rico regurgitates a paper clip in order to help the penguins get to the bridge so they could redirect the ship to Antarctica. In both movies he is shown without a mohawk. only one Spongebob adventures verson of Madagascar was made, cause it's sequil, Spongebob and the Hyenas get to Africa, was canned when the required characters, the Hyenas, and some intended guest stars, the Cteetahs, and Timon and Pumba, were used in Lionkingrulez verson, leading to the cancelation of the sequil.
In the episode "All Choked Up", Skipper has Rico save an activated time bomb for later to destroy a robotic tour guide. Alice notices that Rico is constantly regurgitating and has him take a special medicine that prevents him from throwing up. The penguins try to get the bomb out within 24 minutes, but every attempt, including the deadly Number 12, fails. Skipper, Kowalski, and Private say their goodbyes, and their farewells are so heartfelt, Rico starts to gag because of the "mushiness". Combined with the Number 12 substance, he finally hacks up the bomb, and it explodes on the tour guide.
Rico's fortune in Misfortune Cookie says "You will soon meet a foul end." While Rico and the penguins do not believe in curses, Julien tries to make them believe by tricking Rico into believing that he is cursed to the point where Rico hides in a pillow fortress. Skipper then confronts Julien and they agree to make Rico think that he is not cursed by going through with an ancient lemur ceremony. After a duck lands on Rico at the end of the ritual, Private reveals the meaning of the fortune: the duck's bottom is a fowl end.
When all attempts to get Roger to toughen up fail in Roger Dodger, Kowalski switches their minds. What ensues after is a chance to find Rico/Roger after he goes crazy from change of adaptability. The penguins eventually find him and Roger/Rico sings a lullaby to pacify him like he earlier did so. After they swap back, Roger helps the penguins out in singing a lullaby as a barbershop quartet. Rico at first, can't stand how "lovey-dovey" the song is.
- Psychotic and has a love for destruction.
- Little tolerance for "mushy" stuff, and often becomes sick when Private gets overly emotional and "lovey-dovey" about something, although he can still emote good emotions sometimes.
- Perhaps because of his love for destruction, he is shown to be the least affected penguin by disturbing(i.e. gory) images of a nature documentary, which had a penguin being eaten by a seal. Even Skipper (who had most likely seen the DVD before) could not stop himself from vomiting from the images, while Rico watches with a smile and even eating popcorn.
- Very fond of, and possibly in love with, a doll.
- Easily falls to sleep with Roger's lullaby in Roger Dodger.
- Very obedient to Skipper's commands, although he disobeyed one time when he was in Roger's body (but he was out of control at that time).
- Needs an occasional reality check so he doesn't go on an insane demolition spree. This was Skipper's main fear about letting Rico be friends with King Julien (Kaboom and Kabust).
- Talks very little except says a word or two every now and then.
pretty much like the Penguins of madagascar siries, Rico aids both the Shell Lougers, and his penguin team. Rico is like a crazy but lovable uncle to the louge.
Sayings(speaks sometimes, mostly he makes noises)
- "(Looks at something funny, Laughs) Uhga- Classic!"
- "Fish! Fish! (Singing) FIIIIIIIIIIIISSH!"
- "(Boulder about to run over Devon and Cornwall's necks, grunts Indiana Jones theme)"
- "Aba Baba! Ablablablablabla! (Imitates monster snapping it's jaws, Kowalski measures his comedy with a timer) Urrrr...Urrrrr...Urrrr. Gah- Guh...(Faints, Kowalski stops timer)"
- "(Barfs out chainsaw) Mwa-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-hah!"
- "(About to blow up sign) Kida-bada-walla! (Him and Julien) 5...4...3...2...1...KABOOM!"
- (Takes Dynamite out of his mouth) KABOOM, KABOOM, KABOOM!