Jim Hawkins is a young orphan living with his friends Gonzo and Rizzo at the Admiral Benbow inn in England. Dreaming of sea voyages, Jim only has the tales of Billy Bones to help, Bones telling Jim and the inn patrons of Captain Flint, his old captain, burying his treasure on a remote island and killing all of his crew. However, it turns out that Bones' tales are indeed true when Blind Pew, a fellow pirate, arrives and gives Bones the black spot. Bones dies of a heart attack but gives Jim, Gonzo and Rizzo his treasure map beforehand. Blind Pew returns with an army of pirates, but the boys escape with the map.
Going to a harbour town, the boys meet the half-wit son of Squire Trelawney (Fozzie Bear) who decides to fund a voyage to find Treasure Island and Flint's fortune. Accompanied by Dr. Livesey (Dr. Bunsen Honeydew) and his assistant Beaker, the boys and Trelawney hire the Hispaniola, commanded by Captain Abraham Smollett (Kermit the Frog) and his overly strict first mate Mr. Arrow (Sam the Eagle). The boys meet the cook Long John Silver, a one-legged man who Bones warned the boys about before dying. The ship sets sail, but Smollett is concerned by the pirate-like crew, learning they were hired on Silver's suggestion. Jim and Silver bond, but Gonzo and Rizzo are captured by three of the pirates, Polly Lobster, Mad Monty and Clueless Morgan, who demand they surrender the map but Mr. Arrow catches them in the act and imprisons them in the brig. Smollett locks the map in his safe.
Eventually it becomes apparent that Silver is leader of the pirates and plots a mutiny, fooling Mr. Arrow into leaving the ship to test a lifeboat for safety precautions, and faking his death. Jim, Gonzo and Rizzo learn of Silver's plan and inform Smollett. However, Silver captures Jim upon arrival at Treasure Island, the other pirates stealing the map from Smollett's safe. Smollett, Gonzo and Rizzo go to save Jim but are captured by the local tribe of wild boars, ruled over by Benjamina Gunn (Miss Piggy), Smollett's ex-fiance who he left at the altar. Jim, Silver and the pirates find the hiding place of Flint's treasure only to find the treasure missing, Silver sending Jim away as a fight breaks out among the pirates. The pirates come across Smollett and Benjamina who are suspended from a cliff until Benjamina tells Silver the treasure is hidden in her home, but the two are left to dangle, allowing the pair to fall in love again.
Jim, Gonzo and Rizzo find Mr. Arrow who aids them sneaking onboard the ship and scaring off the pirates still onboard and freeing Trelawney, Dr. Livesey and Beaker, before the figureheads of the Hispaniola (Statler & Waldorf) save Smollett and Benjamina (though Waldorf notes that they "didn't save the movie"). A battle breaks out between the heroes and the pirates, until Smollett fights Silver but loses. Jim and the others rally to their captain's aid, Silver surrendering honourably. All the pirates are stuffed into the brig but Silver escapes using Mr. Arrow's keys. Jim catches him in the act, but allows Silver to leave for the sake of their friendship. However, Mr. Arrow informs Jim and Smollett that the longboat Silver took was damaged, forcing Silver to abandon ship and swim to Treasure Island. The crew of the Hispaniola sail off into the sunset with the treasure, whilst Silver is marooned with only a wisecracking Moai head for company.
Cast and their Relations to the Treasure Planet characters
- Live-action actors
- Kevin Bishop as Jim Hawkins, a good-natured orphan boy who for most of his life has worked at Mrs. Bluberidge's inn but has always dreamed of nautical adventures. He is an incredibly trusting boy, which proves to be somewhat of a downfall for him. When he sings, he is proven to be a boy soprano.
- Tim Curry as Long John Silver, a deceptively charming pirate who befriends Jim Hawkins at first, until he is overheard by Gonzo, Rizzo, and Jim as he reveals his dastardly plans to his fellow pirates aboard the Hispanola. During Silver's siege on Treasure Island it is suggested that Long John Silver and Benjamina Gunn share a romantic history. At the end of the film, Long John makes off with whatever treasure he can in what is later revealed to be a leaky lifeboat - but not before saying a rather touching goodbye to Jim Hawkins, where he declares he could "never hurt" Jim, because he is "honest and brave and true".
- Jennifer Saunders as Mrs. Bluberidge, a loud, plump woman who owns the Admiral Benbow Inn where Jim and his friends work. She has an uncanny ability to know when people are not doing what they should be doing, which leads to various characters exclaiming, "How does she do that?!" Though rough with the "boys," she does show a genuine concern for Jim, helping him escape the pirates before seeing them off herself.
- Billy Connolly as Billy Bones, an ex-pirate, previously a member of Captain Flint's crew who witnessed the burial of gold on Treasure Island and tells Jim he still has the map to the treasure before he suffers a fatal heart attack. (During a live performance in Dublin in 2002, Connolly jokingly claimed to be the only man to ever die in a Muppet movie. In fact, in the movie, Rizzo points this out: "He died? And this is supposed to be a kids' movie!" Rizzo also refers to Billy as a "dead guy" due to his death.)
- David Nicholls as Captain Flint, a pirate who buried the treasure at his own island years ago, and killed his crew.
- Frederick Warder as Calico Jerry one of the human pirates and members of Long John Silver's Crew he can often be seen alongside Long John Silver Jerry becomes the first pirate and the first one aboard the ship to be effected by the Cabin Fever and later on it the film during the fighting scene he can be seen battling with Jim Hawkins and Long John tells him to go easy on the boy as he is just a kid
- Harry Jones as Easy Pete another one of the human pirates and members of Long John Silver's Crew he becomes the second pirate and the second person on board the Hispaniola to be effected by Cabin Fever later on in the film during the fighting scene he get's defeated by my Miss Piggy before he can even pull out his weapon
- Peter Geaves as Black Eyed Pea a pirate with bruised eyes scabs and a bald head another one of the human pirates and members of Long John Silver's Crew he first speaks during the Roll Call Scene then he sings a solo in Professional Pirates later then during the fighting sequence he along with to is defeated by Miss Piggy by getting kicked inbetween his legs in the privates
- Danny Blackner as Short Stack Stevens a dwarf pirate who first speaks when his name is mentioned on the roll call like Easy Pete and Black Eyed Pea he too is defeated by Miss Piggy in the fighting sequence he is defeated with a swift kiss and a head butt
There were also six other unnamed human pirates with no speaking lines aboared the Hispaniola that stayed on board while the other 4 non-unnamed pirates went aboard to the island with Long John Silver in search for the bury treasure
- Muppet performers
- Steve Whitmire as:
- Frank Oz as:
- Miss Piggy as Benjamina Gunn: Captain Smollett's ex-fiancee, who lives on Treasure Island and is worshiped as "Boom Shakalaka" by a tribe of primitive boars. She makes a notably inept entrance which does nothing to cement her reputation as a sex symbol.
- Fozzie Bear as Squire Trelawney: A half-wit son of the real Squire Trelawney who has trouble grasping the concept of what the ocean is. He also says he has an imaginary man in his finger named Mr. Bimbo, who tells him everything. Kevin Clash performed Squire Trelawney; Oz provided his voice.
- Sam the Eagle as Mr. Samuel Arrow: The overly formal and rather melodramatic First Mate on the Hispanola.
- Animal as Himself.
- Dave Goelz as:
- Jerry Nelson as:
- Statler as Ship Head.
- Lew Zealand as Himself: He appears as one of the pirates on Long John Silver's side.
- Blind Pew: A blind pirate that comes looking for Billy Bones. He later takes part in the attack on the Admiral Benbow Inn.
- Floyd Pepper as Himself
- Island Heads: A bunch of Moai-like sculptures that are seen on Treasure Island.
- Mad Monty: One of the pirates that is one of Long John Silver's henchmen alongside Polly Lobster and Clueless Morgan.
- Calico ** a pink skinned pirate with blonde hair freckles a tall head and a monicle he sings a Solo during Sailing for Adventure and Cabin Fever he later appears again in Muppet's Wizard of Oz as a Flying Monkey along with Fellow Pirates Spotted Dick Old Tom and Angel Marie
- Robin the Frog as Himself.
- Monkey: A monkey seen in the opening number who would become Sal Minella on Muppets Tonight.
- Old Tom: An old man who is one of the pirates on Long John Silver's side he along with Lew Zealand Dodo Wolf Mr Bitte and One-Eyed Jack stays aboard the Ship while the rest of the Muppet Pirates go aboard to the Island .
- Kevin Clash as:
- Polly Lobster: A lobster who serves as Long John Silver's "parrot" and is one of Long John Silver's henchmen alongside Clueless Morgan and Mad Monty.
- Spa'am: The chief of the native pigs on Treasure Island.
- Real Old Tom: A mummified person who is one of the pirates on Long John Silver's side.
- Bill Barretta as:
- Clueless Morgan: A goat who is one of Long John Silver's henchmen alongside Polly Lobster and Mad Monty.
- Dr. Teeth as Himself
- Flaubert: Benjamina Gunn's pet anteater.
- Mudwell the Mudbunny: A character from Fraggle Rock who makes a cameo as one of the pirates on Long John Silver's side.
- Rowlf the Dog as Himself.
- The Swedish Chef: Dressed as a pig chef for the native pigs. A talking vegetable quips, "How else were we going to get him into this movie?"
- John Henson as:
- Sweetums as Himself: One of the pirates on Long John Silver's side who defects to Abraham's side.